Saturday 12 March 2016

It begins

Welllll. I have been procrastingating about starting this blog for a bloody long time! Finally I gave myself a good kick up the arse and enrolled in a Blogging for Beginners course through the Australian Writers Centre.

The ebullient and knowledgeable Trae Flett of renowned blog site Where's My Glow? gave us tonnes of very useful information, particularly about the back end part of blogging, ie all the technical crap. Highly recommend.

So now. My first post. Basically I love crafting. I have been surrounded by it from a young age with my very talented mum knitting us all sorts of cute-as little jumpers when we were kids, whipping up curtains, jam and preserves (if that comes under crafty?? I reckon it does!!) and more. Now she is an amazing quilter, her quilts look like works of art.

A quilt I made for a friend's baby inspired by a design my mum created.

















I love the self-sufficient, sustainable aspect of craft. It's so much more meaningful for me to make my own baby blanket as a gift for a friend's newly popped bub than buy some generic, expensive piece of crap. And I like to think they appreciate it more too.

Of course this blog will digress into the other aspects of my life which also include this sustainable outlook; the chooks, the garden, kitchen experiments, particularly in baking; adventures in travel and more.

But mainly it's going to be a mash-up craftiness. I don't even care if anyone reads it. At least I can extend the therapeutic aspect I find making craft brings me through also writing about it.

This is some of the first wool I have ever spun. Pink tops. Tops is woolen fleece you can get already processed.


I'm still not sure what my first actual craft post will be about. The current baby blanket I'm knitting (seriously people, cease with the breeding!!)? Some aplaca fleece I'm spinning on my wheel? Or perhaps the soft cotton face flannels I've been crocheting for a friend's gift hampers? Who knows. Better stay tuned to find out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment